Snow still covers our yard and these kids of mine spent the day making a slope from which to sled. They shoveled snow and molded it into the most perfectly curved slope you ever did see and then launched themselves into sledding glory from the front porch.
It was an amazing thing to behold.
The only thing that could make this sledding adventure more epic is the simple fact that we live in the middle of downtown and the street is only 12 feet from our front door. Cars drove by all day and passengers grinned like nobody’s business and we grinned with them.
These kids did me proud, y’all. (I’m still grinning at their awesomeness. Can you see me??)
It’s late here now and I’m curled up next to the piping hot stove while the Man sits across from me in his least favorite chair and for the moment, this house is quiet.
And it’s time for me to share with you all the things I learned this month.
Once a month, or when I remember to do so, I link up with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky and give you guys a random list of things I’ve learned in the given month. I’m not sure Emily will host her link-up since she has been blogging from Uganda this week to raise awareness for Compassion, but I’m giving you my list because I have one this month! And if you’ve not followed her Compassion posts, you can do so here.
But only read them if you’re willing to have your heart cracked open in a brand new way. They’re beautiful.
And now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for…(Or not, but one can pretend, right???)
1. When you choose your word of the year, you should fully expect God to hold you to it and move you through it. This year it’s BRAVE. Next year, I’m thinking SKINNY.
2. The book A Severe Mercy gets good on page 68.
Really good…and I love this line: For the Hound of Heaven was after her, following after with unwearied pace. I’m learning that the best things in life are often those things that don’t come easy for us. Just like this book.
3. Downton Abbey is like reading a novel you can’t put down. And Violet is my favorite. In my flesh, I wanna be her when I grow up.
4. I love the Man’s beard. Like, really love it. He had to shave this week for something at work and I scarcely recognize him now.
5. The more I make space for Christ to stir up things inside of me, the wider the chasm between my life here and my life as it belongs to Christ. This place is not my home and I so often forget.
6. Harry Connick, Jr. is the best part of American Idol. For real. He makes this season worth watching.
7. Starbucks Via Vanilla Latte is my afternoon slump pick-me-up. And it’s only 4 points. Insert happy dance.
8. If you put your big girl panties on and lean into the hard parts of life, God is most likely to show up in the most unlikely of ways. I’m learning to like my granny panties.
10. I used to think I was afraid of failure. I now know I’m mostly afraid of how Christ will choose to use my one small life.
So, it’s your turn.
What did you learn this month?